Equine and Facilities Manager
LoveWay is seeking a full time Equine and Facilities Manager. Extensive equine knowledge with a background in herd management is required. Candidate must have strong communication skills and have a passion for working with volunteers, students with special needs and, of course, horses! This position will include managing the herd’s lifestyle, conditioning, evaluation, performance, training, selection, departure and record-keeping. This position also includes property management, facility maintenance and the ability to perform basic handyman tasks. Candidate must be motivated, detail orientated, demonstrate excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational skills, with the ability to work with diverse populations. Position is full time. LoveWay is a PATH Premier Accredited Therapeutic Equestrian Center located in Middlebury, IN. Reports directly to the Executive Director. MUST be physically fit and have a flexible schedule. Background checks required. For more information please contact: LoveWay Inc. 54151 CR 33, Middlebury, IN 46540
- Responsible for overseeing horse feeding and watering
- Ensure excellent nutrition and care for all horses including water, hay, grain, supplements, administering general first aid, medications, vaccinations, de-worming, etc.
- Actively manage and train staff and volunteer feeders for all feeding shifts (am & pm).
- Formulate and oversee the feed and turn out schedule using good herd safety management.
- Order and ensure the hay, grain, bedding, supplements, medications, and first aid kits are well stocked and labeled
- Schedule Farrier, Vet, and volunteer Chiropractor as needed. Be point of contact for all horse related services and implement any treatment or maintenance plan.
- Be on call for any equine emergencies, find and report substitute when not available, manage on-call schedule.
- Diagnose or evaluate lameness utilizing veterinary services when appropriate.
- Maintain horse files and database: lease, donation, health records, and behavior changes, etc. –Ensure horses have blankets, fly mask, and other seasonal/pest protection applied and removed as necessary.
- Manage all aspects of maintenance and upkeep for the horse areas including: arena, stalls, tacking area, pastures, hay barn, grain shed, etc.
- With the input of the Volunteer Coordinator, schedule and ensure daily stall cleaning and paddock cleaning as needed.Schedule barn cleaning as needed.
- Arrange for regular manure removal.
- Maintain fencing and pasture maintenance issues including rotation & cleaning.
- Assist in maintaining all LoveWay facility equipment and vehicles.
- Responsible for Horse Conditioning, Evaluation, Performance, Selection and Departure
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Degree in Equine Sciences or related field preferred.
- Excellent horse care experience including horses with special needs or age related issues
- Horse training and riding experience and current with the equine industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to multi-task, prioritize, and organize
Volunteer Coordinator and Marketing Director
LoveWay is seeking a Volunteer and Marketing Director. Our current team loves what they do and has a strong passion for the mission of LoveWay. We are seeking a person who wants to be an integral part of the team and has a passion for our mission, riders, volunteers, donors and our horses. This position is critical to our organization as we partner with over 350+ volunteers to fulfill our mission to the Special needs community of Elkhart County. Strong organizational talents, execution abilities, communication and recruitment skills are all critical to this position. We are looking for a game-changer!
Candidate must be motivated, detail orientated, demonstrate excellent interpersonal, communication, organization skills, and the ability to work with diverse populations. Position is full time. LoveWay is a PATH Premier Accredited Therapeutic Equestrian Center located in Middlebury, IN. Position reports directly to the Executive Director. MUST have a flexible schedule. Background checks required. For more information please contact: LoveWay Inc. 54151 CR 33, Middlebury, IN 46540
- Responsible for the recruitment and retention of all LoveWay Volunteers.
- Responsible for the implementation and maintenance of volunteer records and file systems.
- Screen, train, and coach volunteers in a manner appropriate to provide adequate knowledge and experience necessary to assure volunteers are educated and safe.
- In partnership with Program Staff, oversees the training of new volunteers. Work with instructors to provide ongoing training as needs are identified throughout the semester.
- Oversee scheduling volunteers for classes and assure ample volunteer levels. Takes lead in calling substitutes when necessary.
- Ensure that the volunteer training manual and materials remain updated annually.
- Monitor volunteer skill proficiency levels and oversee ongoing skill training opportunities including LoveWay University Continuing Education.
- Coordinate Corporate Volunteers and Work Groups with the support of the LoveWay Staff.
- Lead volunteer appreciation activities and other special occasion & holiday events.
- Provide tours to guests and visitors when appropriate.
- Assist with Fundraising events.
- Previous experience in marketing, community networking, human resources, organizational development, database management, nonprofit administration and/or youth development programming.
- Proactively represent the LoveWay Volunteer Program to the public via speaking engagements, media appearances, social media outlets, and marketing publications.
- Oversee monthly Volunteer Committee meetings and contributes accordingly.
- Available to assist in classes as needed to ensure adequate staffing levels.
- Strong knowledge of technology with emphasis in Excel, Word, Publisher, Donor Perfect, Constant Contacts and mail merges.
Part-time Stable Assistant/Feeder
Stable Assistants work closely with the Barn Coordinator to maintain our horse lots and barn, as well as feeding our herd and monitoring their general health and soundness. Stable Assistants MUST be physically fit and able and must be available on weekends. Stable Assistants are critical to our team by helping ensure that we provide the best experience for our riders, families, schools and, of course, our horses. For more information please contact: LoveWay Inc. 54151 CR 33, Middlebury, IN 46540
5-8 hrs/wk – Weekends Required
PATH Certified Instructor
Purpose of Position: To provide transformational-level class instruction in a safe manner, following LoveWay and PATH regulations and guidelines. Instructors operate daily with special needs clients to empower Therapeutic Riding (TR) classes. Instructors direct Lead and Side Walker Volunteers to ensure safe and impactful sessions tailored to the individualized needs of the rider.
Requirements: Minimum PATH Intl. registered level instructor certification. Must possess experience as an equine handler and knowledge of horse care. Must be certified in CPR and First Aid (or able to obtain). A bachelor’s degree in psychology, social work, or a related field would be a plus.
Key Responsibility Area: Therapeutic Riding Related Duties
- Instructs and leads Therapeutic Riding classes for LoveWay clients. Follows pre-planned lesson plan to ensure timely, efficient and impactful classes.
- Maintains a safe program environment for students, horses and volunteers. Communicates safety plans often and clearly according to PATH standards.
- Encourages progress and independence in students appropriate to their abilities. Able to challenge individuals to strive beyond the means. Inspiring.
- Communicates with parents and teachers as needed, always in a positive, respectful manner and in-line with LoveWay’s core values.
Key Responsibility: Volunteer Interaction
- Direct TR Lead and Side Walker Volunteers in a positive, respectful manner before, during, and after classes. Empower Volunteers to provide the best possible experience for the rider.
- Assist in the training, orientation, and ongoing education opportunities as designated to ensure Volunteer retention and appreciation.
- Respond to Volunteer questions and concerns in a prompt manner knowing when to pass them up the chain of command.
Key Responsibility: Horse Care and Stable Duties
- Utilize horses under scheduled direction of Equine Manager. Communicate weekly with Equine Manager regarding duties, concerns, etc.
- Report any issues with horses to the Equine Manager as soon as possible.
- Assist in maintaining orderly stalls, barns, equipment and arena by directing Volunteers in appropriate cleaning methods.
Key Responsibility: Office Duties
- Maintain student record logs, rider evaluations and impact assessments, completing lesson plans, assisting with student paperwork, and perform of other duties as requested.
- Engages in annual performance appraisals and continuing education opportunities’ in fields related to LoveWay.
- Attend staff meetings, LoveWay functions, and fundraisers as appropriate.
- Other office duties as assigned.